FINDING THE SAFEST HOSPITAL NEAR YOU

0
306
views

Sadly, all hospitals aren’t the same; the Hospitals Safety Grade says on its website that a patient has a one in 25 chance of leaving the hospital with a new infection. The organization scores hospitals on patient safety including errors, injuries, accidents and infections, with a state-by-state search-box you can you narrow it down to your area.

 

HOSPITAL SAFETY

While hospital-based shootings are relatively rare, but, they can happen, often because of some gudge. The Becker’s Hospital Review reports  that a study conducted by Johns Hopkins University Medical Center showed 154 hospital-related shootings — or an average of 14 per year — identified between 2000 and 2011,  59 percent, or 91 instances, took place inside hospitals. The remaining 41 percent,  or 63 instances, took place on hospital grounds.

 

RELIABLE SOURCES AVAILABLE

 

It’s important not to rely only on one source, since a hospital can easily go up or down quickly in grade.

For instance, it was recently reported that two hospitals–one of which delivered straight As for three years prior–unexpectedly dropped from top A grades to C’s in one survey.

Some media outlets periodically do a “doctors and hospitals” guide. Other suggestions may include consumer report ratings or recommendations and referrals.

“Talking with a doctor or surgeon and asking about procedures that he or she has performed and the success rate, can also help you toward making an informed decision,” said attorney James Johnson, ESQ, founder and head attorney at the personal injury group, Johnson Attorneys Group. “In addition, there is a checklist that may also help such as if the facility is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization.”

 

SKILLED NURSING FACILITIES

 

Commonly known as “nursing homes,” these facilities include medical staff who administer treatment to some patients on a daily basis.  More than half of older adults will stay in one for at least one night (such as when recovering from hip or knee surgery), or possibly for longer, according to The National Institutes for Health (NIH).

The must comply with regulations to receive certification from Medicare and Medicaid, and you can check their rating with the United States Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.

Some things you need to look for include staff turnover as well as services and policies, especially about “pressure sores.”  Pressure sores are an important issue since bodies have to be moved every two hours so as not to develop them. Also, do they have special equipment or mattresses for these issues? Also talk to the residents; are they happy?  How long do they have to wait if they ask for help?

 

THE LEAPFROG GROUP

A national leader and advocate in healthcare transparency, The Leapfrog Group was founded 20 years ago by leading employers and private health experts in our country.  This non-profit organization strives to make great “leaps” toward the safety, quality and affordability of healthcare in the U.S.  by making hospitals transparent on their safety procedures, as well as reports on errors, accidents, infections and other injuries.

“Protect yourself,” said Johnson.  “Arm yourself with information.  Prevention is preferable to treatment.”

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here